The Ghent University is inviting applications for 2 PhD students on Plastic recycling. The PhD students will be based in Ghent/Kortrijk and will travel approximately 3-4 weeks per year to the other case study cities.
Plasticity is an INTERREG 2 Seas project that is aimed at increasing recycling rates of plastic waste in urban environments. Basically, it is about smarter source separation, collection and lumping of waste streams from different actors and finding end markets based on the technical properties of the lumps. It includes a mobile unit for testing, demonstration and sensitization that will be used in the 4 case study cities: Ghent (BE), Den Haag (NL), Southend On Sea (UK) and Douai (FR).
The PhD students will be based in Ghent/Kortrijk and will travel approximately 3-4 weeks per year to the other case study cities.
The Ghent University is a top 100 university and one of the major universities in Belgium. Our 11 faculties offer a wide range of courses and conduct in-depth research in both exact and social sciences. Ghent University aims to encourage its students to adopt a critical approach within a creative, development-oriented educational and research environment.
Eligibility for the PhD Students Positions on Plastic recycling at Ghent University in Belgium
Eligible Countries: Scholarship is available for International students.
Entrance Requirements: Applicants must meet the following criteria:
- You hold a Master’s degree in Bioscience Engineering, Sciences, Industrial Sciences or Civil Engineering with specialization in Chemistry, Material Sciences or Chemical Engineering or an equivalent degree. The degree requirements need to be fulfilled at the start of your appointment.
- You are interested in academic and/or project-based research and services in the domain of separation and recycling of polymers, the experience is an advantage.
- You have good knowledge of polymers chemistry and chemical engineering practices.
- You want to apply fundamental knowledge in a societal context.
- You are creative, open-minded and can work independently.
- You are a team player.
- You have good communication skills to explain a scientific topic to a layman.
- Good knowledge of English is a requirement, knowledge of Dutch is a plus.
2 PhD Students Positions on Plastic recycling at Ghent University in Belgium Application Procedure
How to Apply: Applications should be submitted to Prof. Dr. Ir. Steven De Meester before 15/01/2019. More information can be obtained via mail or phone. An official application should include a CV, motivation letter and overview of diplomas, certificates and study results.