ADA Early Summer School PhD Scholarships (EDP) for South African and Africans are open apply now. The African Doctoral Academy (ADA) at Stellenbosch University (SU) is awarding Summer School call for applications at the start of their Doctoral careers, the opportunity to attend the ADA Summer School in January 2019.
In awarding this funding, our aim is to give successful candidates the opportunity to attend an ADA Doctoral School and spend time at a world-class research university, building their individual capacity and resilience for the journey ahead.
Stellenbosch University (SU) is home to an academic community of 29000 students (including 4000 foreign students from 100 countries) as well as 3000 permanent staff members (including 1000 academics) on five campuses. The University is amongst South Africa’s leading tertiary institutions based on research output, student pass rates and rated scientists, and is recognised internationally as an academic institution of excellence.
ADA Early Summer School PhD Scholarships (EDP) for South African and Africans Description
- Applications Deadline: October 10, 2019
- Course Level: Scholarships are available to pursue two, week-long courses at the ADA Summer School.
- Study Subject: This Winter the ADA will offer 19 courses over two weeks, including introductory courses to Research Design and Methodology (Quantitative and Qualitative), Mixed Methods Research Design as well as courses in analytical techniques and software applications (such as SPSS, R and ATLAS.ti), Preparing for a PhD, Writing and Publishing articles and training in Doctoral Supervision.
- Scholarship Award: Stellenbosch University once again privileged to offer full scholarships (fees, airfare and accommodation) to delegates across South Africa and Africa, as well as a select number awards for SU candidates based in Stellenbosch.
Successful candidates will be awarded the following as part of the programme:
- Two, week-long courses at the ADA Summer School.
- The option to attend a preparatory course (03 – 05 January), as well as a one day course (12 January).
- Self-catering accommodation in Stellenbosch.*
- Transport to visit the V&A Waterfront in Cape Town on Sunday 13 January.
- Return Economy airfare to and from Cape Town International Airport, if applicable.**
- Ground Transport to and from Cape Town International Airport.
- We request that the candidate’s home institution sponsors the candidate’s daily subsistence allowance and visa fees if needed, as a token of good faith in support of their PhD candidate.
*Please note that changes to flights or additional night’s stay will be at your own cost. Flights are determined from the home institutions where the delegates are registered. The accommodation is student-style but walking distance from the venues and equipped with a kitchen.
** Stellenbosch University students will not be offered this option; air travel is booked from the home institution.
- Nationality: Scholarships are available to African and South African students.
- Number of Scholarships: The African Doctoral Academy (ADA) is privileged to offer a limited number of candidates, at the start of the Doctoral careers, the opportunity to attend the ADA Summer School at Stellenbosch University in January 2019.
- Scholarship can be taken in South Africa
Eligibility for the ADA Early Summer School PhD Scholarships (EDP) for South African and Africans
Eligible Countries: Scholarships are available to African and South African students.
Entrance Requirements: Applicants must meet the following criteria:
Stellenbosch University once again privileged to offer full scholarships (fees, airfare and accommodation) to delegates across South Africa and Africa, as well as a select number awards for SU candidates based in Stellenbosch. Eligible candidates can be from any discipline and will be enrolled at their home institutions by February 2019 and have been enrolled for no more than 12 months by 1 February 2019.
- If your application is dependent on the bursary, we suggest that you wait for the outcome before applying to avoid duplication.
- Stellenbosch University registered candidates can apply via this stream – we include a field to indicate your affiliation with the university.
- Preference will be given to candidates from Africa.
English Language Requirements: Applicants whose first language is not English are usually required to provide evidence of proficiency in English at the higher level required by the University.
ADA Early Summer School PhD Scholarships (EDP) for South African and Africans Application Procedure
How to Apply:
- Applicants must complete the online form to submit their details and apply to take part in the programme. This includes a field with a 300-word motivation of how the Summer School would benefit your research and track as a PhD candidate.
- Applicants have to upload the following documents as part of the application process. No documents will be accepted by email. Please make use of the following naming convention: your document_type.programme (for examplesmit.curriculumvitae.edp.doc).
Your application will not be considered as complete if complete you do not submit all the required documentation in full. In this case and you will be unable to submit the form if all documents are not uploaded
- A 300-word motivation on why you would benefit from the residency in general, and specifically how the workshops selected would assist and add to the successful completion of your degree (in line on the form)
- Curriculum Vitae(Resume)
- The brief description of your research (roughly 400 words)
- A written approval/referee report
- On your university letterhead & containing your supervisor’s signature by the current (home) supervisor or head of the department to endorse the applicant’s application. This will indicate the home supervisor’s approval for the applicant to participate in the ADA’s Summer School and provide legitimacy of applicant’s intention.
- We will award a bonus point during the evaluation process if your supervisor also states your case and your suitability for the programme, in addition to simply endorsing your application.
- Proof of registration where possible, otherwise a separate motivation from the home supervisor is required, confirming registration by February 2019.