Applications are invited for LogiCS doctoral program for the academic year 2019-2020. This program is aimed at highly motivated students who want to work in the field of Logical Methods in Computer Science.
The LogiCS doctoral program is a PhD degree program funded by the Austrian Science Fund FWF and run jointly by the three Austrian universities TU Wien (Vienna University of Technology), Graz University of Technology and Johannes Kepler University Linz.
Non-native English speakers need to ensure that their English proficiency meets the doctoral program’s requirements to fully benefit from their courses.
Austrian Science Fund FWF Description:
- Application Deadline: Applications can be submitted at any time. Applications will be screened on the following dates: May 1, 2019; June 1, 2019; July 1, 2019, and September 1, 2019.
- Course Level: Positions are available for pursuing PhD programme.
- Study Subject: Positions are available to work in the following fundamental fields of computer science: Computational Logic (proof theory, computational complexity and automated deduction); Databases / Artificial Intelligence (applications of logic to databases and artificial intelligence); Verification (computer-aided verification, in particular model checking)and Application domains such as security & privacy, cyber-physical systems, and distributed systems
- Scholarship Award: The LogiCS program is funded by the Austrian Science Fund (Fonds zur Förderung der wissenschaftlichen Forschung, FWF). In accordance with FWF regulations and the collective bargaining agreement of the Austrian universities, the doctoral students will be employed as a researcher at a yearly salary of EUR 21,284.48 after taxes and social/health insurance deductions (effective January 2019; the average Austrian salary over all age groups is EUR 20,543.00). There are additional salary supplements and tax deductions for families with children.
- Nationalities: Applicants from all countries are eligible to apply.
- Number of Scholarships: In the years 2019-2022, the doctoral college will admit 16 PhD students where 30% of the positions are reserved for female candidates.
- Scholarship can be taken in Austria
Eligibility for the Austrian Science Fund FWF:
- Eligible Countries: Applicants from all countries are eligible to apply.
- Entrance Requirements: LogiCS invites applicants from all countries to apply. Candidates should hold an MSc or equivalent degree in Computer Science, Mathematics or related fields, and an excellent record of study. Candidates with comparable achievements (e.g., bachelor of honours) may be considered on a case-by-case basis. Previous knowledge in the areas of the doctoral college (computational logic, databases/AI, verification) is desirable but not required.
- English Language Requirements: Non-native English speakers need to ensure that their English proficiency meets the doctoral program’s requirements to fully benefit from their courses. The doctoral program encourages applicants to provide the following tests/scores for English language qualifications:
TOEFL score of at least 550 paper-based, 217 computer-based or 81 internet-based
IELTS score 6.0 or higher
CAE score B or higher
However, command of the English language can be proven in many ways, depending on a student’s prior education. To this end, students should hand in any language certificates, diplomas, etc. as a part of the application documents. Applicants’ adequate command of the English language will also be assessed during the application interviews.
Application Procedure for Austrian Science Fund FWF:
Email your filled out application form, together with all required application documents. The subject must be DKLOGICS. Attach 2 separate PDF files as follows:
form.pdf: Application form
Important: The PDF form has to be filled out electronically and saved in PDF format. To ensure the data is saved properly, we recommend that you use Adobe Reader. We cannot accept scanned versions – the form will be processed electronically.
All other required documents in the order stated below. Please merge all these documents (except the application form) into a single PDF file named documents.pdf. The file size should not exceed 5 MB.
- Evidence of prior achievement
- Degree certificates (Bachelor’s and Master’s degree or higher) of a post-secondary education institution including course transcripts and an explanation of the grading system(s) used in these degree certificates.
- Abstract of diploma / Master’s thesis
- Curriculum Vitae
- Motivation Letter
- At least two letters of recommendation
- At least one of your referees should have a scientific background.
- If your referees prefer, letters of recommendation may be sent separately to clearly indicating the applicant’s name.
- Certificate of English language proficiency (see below)
- The scan of the applicant’s passport
- Only the pages containing your personal data and picture.
- Officially certified transcripts of degree certificate(s)
- Only for non-EU citizens (excl. Swiss nationals).
- Optional: Research proposal
How to Apply for Austrian Science Fund FWF:
Please download the application form and follow the instructions. All information provided in the application form must be accurate and complete. All correspondence will be made via e-mail using the e-mail address you have specified in the online application form. Please check your e-mails regularly and keep your mailbox ready to receive.