The Cameron Impact Scholarship will be awarded annually to approximately 10-15 high-school students. This four-year, merit-based Cameron Impact Scholarship is intended to cover the full “educational expenses” at the recipient’s chosen collegiate institution (estimated to be between $20,000-$50,000 per annum) Cameron Impact Scholarship.
The Bryan Cameron Education Foundation (“Foundation”) awards four-year, full-tuition, merit-based undergraduate scholarships to exceptional high school students who have demonstrated excellence in academics, extracurricular activities, leadership, and community service. The Cameron Impact Scholar is unique among their high-achieving peers in their desire to make an impact on their communities and in the world at large. Our Scholar aspires to contribute to positive forces for change and plans to tailor their education to that end.
The Foundation will allocateCameron Impact Scholarship to individuals pursuing careers in education, nonprofits, government, and/or military and have a stated professional goal of public service. Applicants must have a minimum unweighted 3.7 GPA, be a U.S. citizen, and be planning to enroll in a full-time course of study toward a bachelor’s degree at an accredited four-year U.S. college or university for the full academic year following high school graduation.
Students must also excel in a broad variety of extracurricular activities and demonstrate active participation in community service and in civic-minded arenas, exhibiting an appreciation for the world outside themselves and a belief in their own capacity to effect change on scales both large and small. For more information or to apply, please visit the Cameron Impact Scholarship provider’s website.
Selection Criteria / Eligibility Cameron Impact Scholarship
The Foundation will allocate approximately 25%, or a quarter of the scholarships to individuals pursuing careers in education, nonprofits, government, and/or military and have a stated professional goal of public service. However, the criterion for the Scholarship is intentionally broad. There are countless ways to make a positive impact in many professional careers (Finance, Education, Healthcare, Technology, Military, Legal, Sports, Engineering and Art to name but a few). In either the Private or Public Sector, the Cameron Impact Scholar has the ability to make real, tangible contributions in their lifelong dedication to the greater good.
Eligibility for the Cameron Impact Scholarship is based on the following criteria:
The applicant must:
- Prioritize academic excellence (maintaining a minimum cumulative unweighted 3.7 grade point average/4.0 scale or equivalent in their high school studies);
- Be a citizen of the United States of America;
- Be in the high school graduating Class of 2019, planning to enroll in a full-time course of study toward a bachelor’s degree at an accredited four-year U.S. college or university for the full academic year following high school graduation;
- Excel in a broad variety of extracurricular activities. This includes, but is not limited to: athletics, academic clubs, music lessons, performance art, and philanthropic organizations;
- Be motivated leaders with a strong work ethic and social acumen. Scholars rise to the occasion and are both candid and confident;
- Demonstrate active participation in community service and in civic-minded arenas, exhibiting an appreciation for the world outside themselves and a belief in their own capacity to effect change on scales both large and small;
- And submit by the Application Deadline:
- Online Application,
- Two (2) required Letters of Recommendation* (these letters MUST be submitted prior to the Application Deadline for an Application to be considered complete), and
- Transcript (unofficial is fine) certifying academic performance.
*Recommendations and Transcript may be uploaded directly within the Application when prompted, OR e-mailed directly to the Foundation at[email protected].
Selection Process for Cameron Impact Scholarship
There are two opportunities to submit the Initial Online Application:
- Early Application Deadline for the Class of 2019 is May 25, 2018 at 11:59pm PT – CLOSED
- Regular Application Deadline for the Class of 2019 is September 12, 2018 at 11:59pm PT.
Applications are received on a rolling basis. Please note that a Transcript (unofficial is fine) and two (2) Letters of Recommendation are required as part of the application process. These must be completed by the Application Deadline or your submission will not be considered.
The Foundation is limiting the number of new and complete Applications to 3,000, from the Class of 2019. We will make a note on the website and our social media pages if and when this limit is approaching.
The Selection Committee will choose a limited number of Finalists (80-100) for face-to-face interviews (preferably at the Applicant’s high school) before Recipients are announced in December 2018. Interviews will be conducted in the Fall of 2018.
Funds are generally administered directly to the recipient of the award unless other arrangements are made. If an Applicant who is awarded a Cameron Impact Scholarship earns another merit-based scholarship (i.e. military, athletics), the Foundation will discuss how the financial reward might be deferred to other educational expenses down the line. If an Applicant who is awarded a Cameron Impact Scholarship receives a significant Financial Aid package through their chosen school, the Foundation will cap the “Tuition and Fees” allotment at $30,000. Annual renewal of the Cameron Impact Scholarship will be dependent upon continued attendance, good academic standing, and an acceptable code of conduct. Evidence of misconduct as determined by the Foundation, school, and legal authorities would result in withdrawal of any funds from the Foundation.
Recipients of the Cameron Impact Scholarship are required to attend an annual Cameron Impact Scholars Award Ceremony and Summit for the 4-year duration of the Scholarship. Graduates of the Scholarship program are strongly encouraged to attend this annual event as well.
Submit an Application Cameron Impact Scholarship
Thank you for your interest in the Cameron Impact Scholarship program. To submit an application for our scholarship, please review our process:
- Step 1: Fill out the Applicant Profile form (below)
- Step 2: Create a username and password
- Step 3: Login to your Applicant Profile (please check your spam folder or contact our admin if you do not receive your activation e-mail right away).
- Step 4: Click the link on the far right column – “New Application”
- Step 5: Complete application and essays (note word limits) and upload your transcript and two (2) recommendations. PLEASE NOTE: Recommendations and/or Transcript may be uploaded within the Application OR e-mailed to us directly at [email protected]
- Step 6: Submit your application
- Step 7: If you did not include your transcript and/or recommendations during the application process – you must have these e-mailed to us at [email protected] by the Application Deadline. We do not offer ANY extensions.
We recommend disabling cookies in your web browser if you are using Google Chrome to avoid error messages or loss of information while completing the application. It is also recommended to save responses in Word or a similar program to avoid loss of data at any time. Our system does not allow you to save and then return at a later time. If you have any problems with this process, please don’t hesitate to contact us at [email protected]. We look forward to receiving your application.
Cameron Impact Scholarship Frequently Asked Questions
Who is eligible to apply to the Cameron Impact Scholarship?
We are currently accepting applications from the Class of 2019. US Citizens who have an unweighted GPA of a 3.7 or higher are eligible to apply. The Foundation is specifically looking for candidates who have displayed strong evidence of leadership, involvement in extracurriculars and community service, and who want to make a positive impact on the world around them.
What is the application deadline?
Early Application Deadline: Friday, May 25, 2018 at 11:59PM PT
Regular Application Deadline: Wednesday, September 12, 2018 at 11:59PM PT
What is the difference between the Early and Regular Application deadlines?
We review all Applicants fully and fairly, regardless of when they apply. However, there are some benefits to applying early.
- We limit the number of Applications we will accept to 3,000. If and when we reach this limit, we will shut down the process, regardless of deadlines. We will make a note on our website and on our social media platforms if we are approaching this limit, to notify prospective Applicants;
- Early Applicants will find out if they have received a Finalist Interview in June, rather than in the Fall – which is the case for the Regular Applicants;
- We award 80-100 Finalist Interviews each year. Applications are accepted on a rolling basis, and the Interview slots filled in the Early Application Round determine the number of Interview slots that we have available for Regular Round Applicants; and
- We receive the majority of our Applications for the Regular Application Deadline.
What does the Cameron Impact Scholarship cover?
The Cameron Impact Scholarship is intended to cover the full tuition and ‘qualified educational expenses’ (as defined by the Internal Revenue Service) at the recipient’s chosen collegiate institution. ‘Educational expenses’ vary amongst higher institutions, but the Scholarship is intended to cover tuition, fees, course-related expenses, books, supplies, and equipment. The Cameron Impact Scholarship does not cover Room and Board.
How many scholarships are awarded each year?
10-15 Cameron Impact Scholarships are awarded each year.
Will I be notified of my status even if I am not selected for an interview?
The Foundation notifies all Applicants of their status, regardless if they receive a Finalist Interview or not. We notify Early Applicants by June 30th, and Regular Applicants are notified by October 31st. Sometimes, correspondence may end up in SPAM. You are welcome to contact us at[email protected] to inquire about the status of your Application.
What if I am planning to do a gap year between high school and college?
Applicants who wish to take a Gap Year are welcome to apply to the Cameron Impact Scholarship. We do, however, request that you apply with the graduating high school class that you would be attending your first year of college with. So if you were to take a gap year, apply by May or September of your Gap Year. We also find that it is additive to the Application if you describe what you have done with your Gap Year.
May I submit my transcript or recommendations after the deadline?
Our deadlines are hard ones, and any incomplete Applications will NOT be reviewed. We do not accept any late Transcripts or Recommendations. If any information is missing for the Early Application Deadline – your submission will automatically roll to the Regular Applicant Pool.
Is the scholarship need-based?
The Cameron Impact Scholarship is a merit-based scholarship. We will never ask you any personal or familial financial information. Financial need is not taken into consideration in our evaluation process.
If I am not awarded the Cameron Impact Scholarship, are there other merit-based programs that I should explore?
There are! While we are honored to award a significant number of merit-based scholarships each year, we recognize that there are many deserving candidates out there whom we are not able recognize through our program alone.
While we do not claim to have an exhaustive list of all merit-based opportunities, we are making an effort to familiarize ourselves with other programs that are worth pursuing. Please see the “Other Resources” page on our site.
Can I save my application and come back to edit it later?
Unfortunately, our system does not allow you to save an application and return to edit it at a later time. In an effort to prevent loss of information, we always recommend that you save responses in Word or a similar program until you are ready to submit your Application.
My school does not use a 4.0 scale – how do I calculate my GPA?
The Cameron Impact Scholarship requires a minimum unweighted GPA of a 3.7 or higher. If your school does not calculate on a 4.0 scale – you may convert your GPA according to the following scale:
Are there word limits to the essay prompts?
YES. All word limits are clearly noted in the Application. The Selection Committee will not review a response beyond the allowable word limits.
Do I need an official copy of my Transcript?
No. An unofficial Transcript will suffice.
Who should I ask to write my Recommendations?
We require two (2) Recommendations:
- One must be from a school affiliated personnel (teacher, administrator, counselor, coach, etc), and
- One must be from someone who has made a significant impact on your life. (This may be a school affiliated personnel if they fit under the ‘impactful’ umbrella for you. Please do not include a recommendation from a parent or legal guardian).
May I submit more than two Recommendations?
Yes, but we only require the two.
Can my Recommendation writers submit the Recommendations directly to the Foundation?
Yes. Recommendations may be e-mailed to us directly at[email protected]. These need to be received prior to the deadline to be included in the Applicant’s file.
I forgot to submit my Transcript and/or Recommendations with my Application. What should I do now?
If you did not include your Transcript and/or Recommendations in your Application – you may have them sent to us via e-mail at[email protected]. These MUST be received by the deadline or your submission will not be considered complete or eligible for review. We do not offer any extensions.
I am receiving an error message when I try to submit my application. What do I do?
If you receive any error messages- please make sure you have all of your information saved in Word or a similar program to prevent loss of data. Error messages are most commonly due to an embedded cookies issue on your web browser. The easiest solution is to try an alternative browser altogether (if you were using Safari, try Chrome, etc). Another solution would be to disable cookies and clear your history.
This is a very common issue for applicants who are using school computers.
If you continue to experience issues, please notify us at [email protected] so we may better assist you. Please note that we do receive a high volume of calls and e-mails as we approach the application deadlines. We respond to queries in the order we receive them.
I have an update I would like to share with the Foundation – may I update my application?
Our system does not allow you to edit or update an Application once it has been submitted. If you have updates or information that you feel will be additive to your submission, you are welcome to e-mail us at [email protected]. If your submission is still under review, we will make a note in your file.
When I go to view my application after it has been submitted- I am unable to access it and only see a number BCEF – _ _ _ _ . Did my Application go through?
Our system does not allow you to view an Application once it has been submitted. If you have received an application number of BCEF-_ _ _ _, your submission has been received. You are welcome to verify with us for peace of mind.
My reference was unable to provide a Recommendation by the Deadline- what should I do?
We do not offer any extensions. Please remember to give your References plenty of time to complete a Recommendation.