CITANDA Postdoctoral Research Fellowship in South Africa are open apply now. The Centre for Information Technology and National Development in Africa (CITANDA) is delighted to offer Postdoctoral Research Fellow (PDRF) in the evaluation of digital work platforms (Uber, SweepSouth, Upwork, etc.) in South Africa against decent work standards.
The research project aims to (i) improve working conditions for digital platform-workers in low- and middle-income countries; (ii) develop a certification scheme designed to set minimum standards for decent work and actively certify platforms through a newly-created “Fairwork Foundation”; and (iii) create a Code of Practice for South African platforms.
The University of Cape Town (UCT) is a public research university located in Cape Town in the Western Cape province of South Africa. It is jointly the oldest university in South Africa and the oldest extant university in Sub-Saharan Africa alongside Stellenbosch.
CITANDA Postdoctoral Research Fellowship in South Africa Description:
- Applications Deadline: August 31, 2018
- Course Level: Fellowship is available to postdoctoral research programme.
- Study Subject: Fellowship is awarded in Evaluating Digital Work Platforms in South Africa against Decent Work Standards. The PDRF will conduct research for a multi-disciplinary research project supported by the UK Economic and Social Research Council as part of its GCRF New Models of Sustainable Development programme.
- ScholarshipAward: The value of the fellowship is ZAR 260,000 pa and is tenable for up to 29 months. A performance review will happen after the first year. Any further extension would be dependent on performance, and sourcing of additional funding for the post.
- Nationality: Fellowship is available for South African citizens.
- Number of Scholarships: Numbers not given
- Scholarship can be taken in South Africa
Eligibility for the CITANDA Postdoctoral Research Fellowship in South Africa:
Eligible Countries: Fellowship is available for South African citizens.
Entrance Requirements: Applicants must meet the following criteria:
Academic/experience criteria: Required
- A PhD, awarded within the previous five years, in a relevant field which could include – but is not limited to – internet studies, information systems, development studies, or work and employment.
- Strong skills in the planning, implementation, software-based analysis and write-up of primary field data.
- Practical experience of qualitative fieldwork in a global South context.
- Demonstrated ability to undertake desk-based evidence reviews.
- Demonstrated capacity to produce peer-reviewed research articles.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English.
- Ability to work independently within a research team and to meet deadlines.
- Knowledge and experience of field research in South Africa.
- Knowledge of South African official languages other than English.
- Specific expertise relating to digital platform work.
- Prior experience of working on research projects.
English Language Requirements: Applicants must have excellent written and verbal communication skills in English. Knowledge of South African official languages other than English is required.
CITANDA Postdoctoral Research Fellowship in South Africa Application Procedure:
How to Apply: Applicants should submit (i) an application letter that includes a short description of their expertise and research interests, and how these relate to the position, specifically addressing the required and desirable criteria listed, (ii) a CV including a publication list, iii) a copy of their PhD thesis and up to two published or submitted papers, (iv) copies of academic transcripts and/or certificates, and (v) email addresses of at least two referees directly involved in their PhD and/or previous postdoctoral research.