The new CSIRO DUCA Ph.D. Scholarships is available for all new Domestic and International students for the year 2018.
At CSIRO, we do the extraordinary every day. We innovate for tomorrow and help improve today – for our customers, all Australians and the world.
Applicants whose first language is not English are usually required to provide evidence of proficiency in English at the higher level required by the University.
CSIRO DUCA PhD Scholarships in Australia Description:
- Applications Deadline: August 31, 2018 for International students and October 31, 2018 for Domestic students.
- Course Level: Scholarships are available to study PhD programme.
- Study Subject: Scholarships are awarded within the Faculty of Business and Economics.
- Scholarship Award: The following summarises the scholarship award levels, benefits and payments that are applicable under this program.
The scholarship award will be indicated in the letter of offer, and may comprise—
(1) The Data61 PhD Scholarship, or
(2) The Data61 Top-up Scholarship, or
(3) Both of the above scholarships.
There are no other benefits associated with the scholarship award.
- The level of award notified in the letter of offer will remain in force for the specified duration unless the student subsequently receives a secondary award as outlined in Section 1.4 “Concurrent Holding of Scholarships”. Top-up scholarships awarded to students in receipt of Government, university or third-party primary scholarships will not convert to full stipends if the primary scholarship ceases.
- The scholarship award is paid via the candidate’s university and via the university’s payment processes.
- The scholarship award does not include funding for conference registration or travel, however support may be available to scholarship recipients from Data61 research programs. Students should refer to their Data61 supervisor and/or research program co-ordinator for more information.
- The scholarship award does not provide relocation reimbursement or allowances to take up study, thesis printing allowances, overseas student health insurance or tuition fees.
- Scholarship payments are linked to the continuation of the student candidature. Payments will cease when the Doctoral Thesis is submitted or in the event the student ceases to meet the eligibility criteria.
- Nationality: These scholarships are available for international or domestic students.
- Number of Scholarships: Two top up scholarships (top-up or full PhD scholarships)
- Scholarship can be taken in Australia
Eligibility for the CSIRO DUCA PhD Scholarships in Australia:
Eligible Countries: These scholarships are available for international or domestic students.
Entrance Requirements: The following eligibility criteria apply to candidates for Data61 scholarships:
- Maybe domestic or international students.
- Must hold an Australian bachelor’s degree with First Class Honours or an equivalent degree. See Section 2.2, “First Class Honours Equivalency.
- Must have applied for admission, been admitted, or be enrolled in a Research Doctorate (PhD) degree program at an Australian university which is signatory to the Data61 University Collaboration Agreement (DUCA).
- Must include a Data61-employed researcher in their supervisory Panel.
- Must be enrolled and continue to be enrolled in the full-time study throughout their candidature.
- Must assign intellectual property developed within the PhD project to Data61 through signing the Data61 Student Scholarship Agreement (SSA).
- Undertake research that is aligned with Data61’s research programs or business development teams and supervisory capabilities.
- Must not already hold a PhD.
- Must apply for other university or government scholarships at the same time as applying for the Data61 scholarship award.
First Class Honours Equivalency
- Candidates should have a First Class Honours Bachelor’s degree from an Australian university. For candidates who do not meet this requirement, the following may be considered to meet first class honours equivalency:
- Completion of a research project
- Number and quality of publications, including the percentage the candidate has contributed to a publication
- Work experience in a field relevant to the research
- Other degrees with a strong research component
- First class equivalency will be determined by the Data61 Scholarship Committee in consultation with the university supervisor.
English Language Requirements: Applicants whose first language is not English are usually required to provide evidence of proficiency in English at the higher level required by the University.
Application Procedure for CSIRO DUCA PhD Scholarships in Australia:
How to Apply: Students wishing to apply for a Data61 scholarship must have already made contact with a Data61 supervisor to discuss a research project, and have written agreement from the Data61 researcher and university supervisor to supervise their PhD project. This confirmation, a research proposal and other supporting documentation must be submitted at the time of application.
Application rounds are held two to four times each year, depending on university processes and numbers of applications. Rounds will be announced on the CSIRO and Data61 websites, together with relevant links and information. Applications and supporting documentation must be received prior to the advertised closing dates to be eligible for assessment.
Students selected to move through to assessment will be asked to seek two written Referee Reports and Data61 will request a statement from the proposed Data61 supervisor.