One of these Dost Scholarship grants is the one offered by the Department of Science and Technology (Dost Scholarship). Being a DOST scholar can help you in many ways. Dost Scholarship can lessen the burden of your parents supporting your studies Dost Scholarship, especially knowing that college education requires thousands of money every semester. So, the question is, how can you become a DOST scholar? Here are few things you should know:
The Philippine Team collected 126 medals in the 4th Singapore International Mathematics Olympiad (SIMOC) held in Singapore, from July 7-8, 2019. The SIMOC is a unique concept of mathematics competition, which, according to its website, not only tests the ability to solve mathematical problems but also tests the ability to work as a team to play interactive mathematical games and solve puzzles.
The Team, composed of 116 Grade 2 to 11 students from various schools in the country, joined through the efforts of the Asian MathSci League Inc. (AMSLI). They won 14 Gold Medals, 43 Silver Medals, and 69 Bronze Medals, with some students receiving multiple medals across three different categories.
1. Brief yourself about the exam coverage.
The examination of DOST scholarship ranges from easy to difficult. Some items in the examination might be hard or challenge for some test-takers. Preparing for the examination is the best way to become successful with the examination you are going to take.
The test for DOST scholarship is diverse into two. The two major parts of the exam are the Intellective and non-intellective. In the test, there are the major subjects you need to take in the examination. These are the English, Mathematics, and Science subjects. There are sub-categories, but you should focus more on these three major subjects. Other categories involved the linguistic ability, scientific ability, and quantitative ability.
When it comes to technical or mechanical ability, the test contains questions with mechanical steps that you need to compute the result and find the answer to the questions. In this section, you need to identify the images that appear in front of you.
On the other section is the Non-Intellective wherein they will recognize the way you solve and analyze the questions. The exam includes questions in a theoretical way. In this kind of questions, you need to analyze, evaluate and infer them.
2. Review, review, review
Most of DOST scholarship questions include the coverage when you were in high school. If you have listened to your subject before and became attentive to your teacher, answering the question would not be a problem. Interestingly, some who did not review for the scholarship passed the exam. But I am not telling you that you should be overly confident and say, “I know it already.”
Even though you are thought to be the intelligent one in your class, you should always make sure that you are always open to suggestions and improvement. Overconfidence might ruin your plans. Review your previous lessons weeks before the examination.
3. Have enough rest.
Do not stress yourself too much about the incoming examination. You should stop studying the day before the exam so that you can have enough rest. Sleep early to let your brain become more active for the next day.o
Take note that there are thousands of students who will take the DOST examination. You need to take the examination with all your heart and soul.
DOST Scholarship Qualifications
Before you take the examination, there are some requirements and qualifications you need to meet. Not everyone is eligible for DOST scholarship. Do you want to know if you are qualified? Check the details below:
- You must be naturally born Filipino citizen.
- The applicant economic status should not exceed the set values for DOST scholarship.
- The student should:
- be one of the top 5% of their regular class before graduated in high school
- be one of the members of DOST-SEI or one of the students in DepEd Science High School
- The applicant should be residing in the municipality for four (4) years.
- Your health and moral characters are in a good status.
- The applicant is one of the qualifiers in Science and Technology Scholarship Examination.
There are qualifications for DOST scholarship, on the other hand, the following are disqualified for the scholarship:
- You had an examination with DOST-SEI Scholarship before.
- You applied in the USA or foreign countries for immigrant status.
- If you earned units in an undergraduate or post-secondary post.
To be able to get the scholarship, the applicant should enter state universities or colleges, network institutions recognized by DOST-SEI, and Centers of Excellence or Centers of Development by CHED identified tertiary institutions. You must make sure that you passed the entrance examination for the institution or Universities you have applied to.
DOST scholarship Requirements
Here are the other requirements once you are awarded a DOST scholarship:
- The DOST scholar should follow all the rules and regulations or agreement with the scholarship including the parents or guardian of the scholar.
- After being a scholar of DOST, you must clear your name from DOST-SEI to be sent to the government agency.
- An awardee must maintain your grade to stay as DOST scholar.
- After graduation, the scholar has the responsibility to serve the country in years the same as the years he was a scholar in DOST.
How can you apply for a DOST scholarship?
The application for DOST scholarship is downloadable through www.sei.dost.gov.ph and www.science-scholarships.ph. If you want to apply directly in the office in Manila, you can find it in Science Education Institute, 2nd Level, Science Heritage Bldg., DOST Compound, General Santos Ave., Bicutan, Taguig City, Metro Manila.
If you are living in the province, you may ask for application forms from DOST Regional Offices, Provincial Science and Technology Centers (PSTC).
You might have everything ready for all of the requirements for DOST scholarship, but you must acknowledge that there are priority courses to become a scholar. What are the priority courses for DOST scholarship? The priority courses are related to engineering, mathematics, and science courses.
Science and Technology Scholarship Examination Schedule
As of now, DOST-SEI doesn’t have the date of examination yet. You can start filing your DOST scholarship application until August 25, 2018. We will update this blog entry once the date of the exam is already out.
DOST Scholarship Courses
Here are the courses open for DOST scholarship:
- Aeronautical Engineering
- Aerospace Engineering
- Agribusiness Management
- Agricultural and Biosystems Engineering
- Agricultural Biotechnology 1 Computer Science
- Agricultural Chemistry
- Agricultural Economics
- Agricultural Engineering
- Agricultural Technology
- Animal Science
- Applied Mathematics
- Applied Physics
- Applied Physics with Applied Computer System
- Applied Physics with Materials Science and Engineering
- Applied Statistics
- Ceramics Engineering
- Chemical Engineering
- Chemistry with Applied Computer Systems
- Chemistry with Materials Science and Engineering
- Civil Engineering
- Computer Engineering
- Doctor of Veterinary Medicine
- Electrical Engineering
- Electronics and Communications Engineering/Electronics Engineering
- Environmental Science
- Food Technology
- Geodetic Engineering
- Industrial Design
- Industrial Engineering
- Industrial Pharmacy
- Information System
- Information Technology
- Information Technology Systems
- Instrumentation and Control Engineering
- Manufacturing Engineering
- Manufacturing Engineering Management – Mechatronics
- Marine Biology
- Marine Science
- Materials Engineering
- Mathematics and Science Teaching
- Mathematics Teaching
- Mechanical Engineering
- Mechatronics Engineering
- Medical Technology
- Metallurgical Engineering
- Mining Engineering
- Molecular Biology and Biotechnology
- Nutrition and Dietetics
- Packaging Engineering
- Petroleum Engineering
- Pharmacy (4-year program)
- Pharmacy major in Clinical Pharmacy (5-year program)
- Public Health
- Science Teaching (Biology, Chemistry, Physics, and Physical Science)
There are special courses open for DOST scholarship available in DLSU only:
- Industrial Management Engineering Information – Technology (2)
- Manufacturing Engineering Management – Biomedical Engineering (2)
There is a special course open for DOST scholarship available in BS program course only:
Take note that these major courses are NOT accredited with DOST scholarship:
- Mass Communication
- Business Management
- Marketing and Commerce
DOST Scholarship Benefits
Now that you have chosen your course and passed the DOST scholarship examination, what are the benefits you can get? Here are they:
- School Tuition and other Expenses – DOST scholarship is offering P10, 000 or P8, 000 per semester.
- P10,000 book allowance.
- P500 allowance for PE Uniform accredited for First Year Semester.
- Students who are studying outside their home province will be granted roundtrip allowance.
- For those who acquired the course of under the Bachelor of Science in Mining, Geology, Physics, Applied Physics, and Physics Teaching will receive a support of P5,000.
- P4,000 is the given allowance every month for DOST-SEI major or priority courses.
- If the curriculum is requiring summer classes, P1,500 is granted to the scholar for tuition and other school fees.
- There is a second book allowance of P500, but you must submit official receipt
The Pros of Being a DOST Scholar
Students who take DOST scholarship examination is to lessen the burden of their parent supporting their tuition and school expenses. Lots of students are aiming to become one of the scholars but only a few deserving ones were chosen. What are the pros of being DOST scholar?
They will support you financially.
Some Filipino parents find it hard to support all of their children in college. To continue their college years, they are urging their children to take DOST scholarship examination. Once you passed the test, you will be given P10,000 or P8,000 financial support for your school tuition every semester. Other than this, DOST will give other allowance for the books and other expenses while in college.
You will be driven to work harder.
Being a DOST scholar means you need to maintain your grade. If you want to stay as DOST scholar, diligence and perseverance are needed. Knowing that you need to maintain your grade, you will be more encouraged to work harder than usual.
You can learn how to be more independent.
Your parents are working hard to support all your basic needs, but as you grow up, you know that we need to work on your own. Being a DOST scholar does not mean that you need to find a job, but it will give you’re the sense of responsibility. Working hard to continue being a scholar means that you are learning how to become independent.
The Cons of Being a Scholar
Although we have talked about the positive things about DOST scholarship, we know that it has few disadvantages. Though, it is up to you if you think that these disadvantages are good enough to discourage you.
You need to go through with pressures.
Maintaining grades put pressure on you, especially when the subject is getting difficult and more challenging in the next semesters. That is why it is important to choose the courses that you like when you plan to take the examination with DOST scholarship.
You must serve in the country for several years, same as the year you enjoyed the benefits of DOST scholarship.
If you are planning to go abroad after graduation, the government will not allow you to do that unless you finished your service inside the country for some time. Well, this would not create too much problem, because after serving in the country, you can plan to work abroad.
Being a scholar is a responsibility. If you became DOST awardee, you must cherish it and work hard to benefit from DOST scholarship. You must also learn all about the terms and regulations of being a scholar. I have mentioned above about the agreements of being DOST scholar. It is your responsibility to know about it as you file your DOST scholar application.
The government is giving benefits to deserving ones, especially to those students who are taking their studies seriously and eagerly. Do not take this opportunity for granted. Only a few students are accredited with DOST scholarship.
According to some student who became DOST scholar, it changed their lives in a great way. “You do not have to graduate magna cum laude. The fact na scholar ka karon [you are already a scholar], successful ka na [you are already successful],” that is what Kim Dianne Ligue said, a DOST scholar and graduated as magna cum laude from the University of the Philippines Mindanao. Although being DOST scholarship is challenging, it helped her parent in many ways, and they did not worry how they could support her studies.
You see, if there is a will, there is always a way. If you lack in financial capability to support your studies, do not lose hope easily. Government is offering several scholarships to help you with your financial problem. As they see that you are deserving, they are willing to support your studies. Study hard, do everything to reach your goals. Work hard to aim your goals in life. Work hard to help your parent in your own simple way. Applying for DOST scholarship might be challenging as you think, but as you work hard toward, you will probably welcome success and be a DOST scholar until the end of your college years.