FUB-CSC PhD Scholarship Program in Germany are open apply now. The new Free University of Berlin– China Scholarship Council FUB-CSC PhD Program is now available on offer to study in Germany for the year 2020. These scholarship positions are available for Chinese students.
The Beijing Liaison Office was founded in 2007. As a representative office of Freie Universität Berlin, the focus of the Liaison Office’s work is to increase the awareness of the university in China and Hong Kong, as well as to support local scientists and initiate new cooperation projects in the People’s Republic. There is also a special focus on the recruitment and selection of qualified junior scientists who come to Berlin with scholarships from the China Scholarship Council.
It’s not a problem to do your PhD studies in English, particularly in Sciences. This year’s (2020) PhD offers do all require English as a prerequisite. In certain areas, German isn’t required and helpful like in Philosphy or German Studies. It is mostly depending on the thesis’ subject and on the approval of the candidate’s supervisor. Please check the list with the offered PhD positions and see the required language skills.
FUB-CSC PhD Scholarship Program in Germany Description
- Applications Deadline: January 4, 2020
- Course Level: The CSC offers two types of scholarships:
Full PhD studies: Scholarships for full PhD studies leading to a doctoral degree, awarded by Freie Universität Berlin. Duration of the CSC scholarship: 3 – 4 years.
Sandwich PhD studies: Scholarships for candidates who are already doctoral students in China. Following the so-called ‘Sandwich Model’, Chinese PhD candidates can do PhD research both at the home university in China and at Freie Universität Berlin. The PhD title will ultimately be conferred by the Chinese university. Duration of the CSC scholarship: 1-2 years.
- Study Subject: Each year in September, Freie Universität Berlin offers an extensive number of open PhD positions in a variety of research areas for CSC candidates who want to conduct their research in Berlin with a CSC scholarship.
- Scholarship Award: There are only 320 EUR to pay per semester by each student, as an enrollment and semester contribution fee but this includes also a Berlin public transportation ticket.
- Nationality: These scholarship positions are available for Chinese students.
- Number of Scholarships: 30-40 open PhD positions – each offering a well-defined research project – are listed on the website under the FUB-CSC Program.
- Scholarship can be taken in Germany
Eligibility for the FUB-CSC PhD Scholarship Program in Germany
- Eligible Countries: These scholarship positions are available for Chinese students.
- Entrance Requirements: Applicants must meet the following criteria:
Please check the terms and conditions of the CSC scholarship and read carefully the information given by the China Scholarship Council.
Scheme 1 (Full-time PhD study)
|Scholarships for a full-time PhD study project pursued at Freie Universität Berlin and leading to a doctoral degree of Freie Universität|
· Duration of the scholarship: 3-4 years.
· Scholarship holders under Scheme 1 enroll at Freie Universität Berlin as doctoral students. Their research will be supervised by a professor of Freie Universität. (Some of the supervisors are researchers at a non-university research institute and also professors of FUB.)
· If the students successfully complete all requirements and defend their dissertation, they will be awarded a PhD / doctoral degree of Freie Universität Berlin.
Scheme 2 (Part-time PhD research stay)
Scholarships for a research stay, following the so-called “Sandwich Model”
· Duration of the scholarship: 1-2 years.
· According to the Sandwich Model, a Chinese PhD candidate will do PhD research both, at the home university in China and at Freie Universität Berlin.
· Supervision of the PhD candidate is ensured by a Chinese and a German professor.
· The first year of the PhD course will be pursued at the Chinese university. The PhD students then complete one to two years of research at Freie Universität Berlin and return to China for project completion.
· The PhD title will ultimately be conferred by the Chinese university.
English Language Requirements: It’s not a problem to do your PhD studies in English, particularly in Sciences. This year’s (2020) PhD offers do all require English as a prerequisite.
In certain areas, German ist required and helpful like in Philosophy or German Studies. It is mostly depending on the thesis’ subject and on the approval of the candidate’s supervisor. Please check the list with the offered PhD positions and see the required language skills.
- Very good English skills if English is the language of instruction for PhD studies. No prior knowledge of German required in the following disciplines: Biology, Biomedicine, Chemistry, Pharmacy, Earth Sciences, Mathematics, Computer Science, Physics, Earth Sciences and Veterinary Medicine
English Certificate: IELTS certificate with an overall rating of 5 points OR TOEFL certificate with a total score of 95 points
- Very good German skills if German is the language of instruction for PhD studies. Usually in Humanities and Social Sciences but depending on the professors’ requirements.
German Certificate: TestDaF certificate with at least the grade 4 in all four parts and a total score of at least 16 points OR DSH-2 certificate.
Test Requirements: Freie Universität Berlin does not recognize the CET. The test is not known outside China. The CSC also requires an IELTS or TOEFL test.
FUB-CSC PhD Scholarship Program in Germany Application Procedure
How to Apply: Two applications are necessary (to Freie Universität and the CSC):
Application 1: Application to FUB to receive the necessary Invitation Letter for the CSC, issued by the university in the framework of the FUB-CSC Program (not issued by the professor!): FUB is advising about the program and the open positions, offered by the professors, as well as of processing the applications. Each application is to be submitted to FUB (not to the professor!) by January 4, 2020.
Application 2: Application to the CSC for a PhD scholarship: After being contacted, interviewed and accepted by the professor (between end of January and mid of February), an Invitation Letter will be issued by Freie Universität Berlin/ International Office (not by the professor!) to applicants in the framework of the FUB-CSC Program: all accepted PhD candidates receive the Invitation Letter end of February 2020.