The Commonwealth PhD Scholarships allow talented and motivated full time university teaching faculty to gain advanced knowledge and skills required for sustainable development and aimed to support those faculty who could not otherwise afford their studies in the UK.
Purpose: To enhance individual teaching and research capacity leading to increased capacity in academic and other sectors in Commonwealth countries.
Commonwealth Scholarship for PhD (Teaching faculty only) Programme offered
Commonwealth PhD Scholarships are for candidates from low and middle income Commonwealth countries, for fulltime doctoral study (PhD) at a UK University. These scholarships are offered under following six themes:
- Science and technology for development
- Strengthening health systems and capacity
- Promoting global prosperity
- Strengthening global peace, security and governance
- Strengthening resilience and response to crises
- Access, inclusion and opportunity
Complete details of programs, eligibility and further classification of themes of study offered for 2020 Commonwealth scholarships is available at http://cscuk.dfid.gov.uk/apply/phd-scholarships-low-middle-income-countries/
Commonwealth Scholarship for PhD (Teaching faculty only) COVERAGE
The Scholarship will cover the following:
- Approved airfare from your home country to the UK and return at the end of your award (the CSC will not reimburse the cost of fares for dependants, nor usually the cost of journeys made before your award is finally confirmed).
- Approved tuition fees.
- Stipend (living allowance) at the rate of £1,084 per month or £1,330, for those at universities in London metropolitan area (rates quoted at 2020/2020 levels).
- Warm clothing allowance, where applicable.
- Study travel grants towards the cost of study-related travel within UK or Overseas.
- Provision towards the cost of fieldwork undertaken overseas (usually the cost of one economy class return airfare to your fieldwork location) where approved.
- Paid mid-term visit (airfare) to your home country (unless you have claimed or (intend to claim) spouse and/or child allowances during your scholarships, or have received a return airfare to your home country for fieldwork).
- Family allowances as follows (rates quoted at 2020/2020 levels):
- Spouse allowance of £233 per month if you and your spouse are living together at the same address in the UK (unless your spouse is also in receipt of a scholarship; other conditions also apply)
- Child allowance of £233 per month for the first child, and £114 per month for the second and third child under the age of 16, if you are accompanied by your spouse and children and they are living with you at the same address in the UK.
- If widowed, divorced, or a single parent, child allowance of £465 per month for the first child, and £114 per month for the second and third child under the age of 16, if you are accompanied by your children and they are living with you at the same address in the UK.
- The CSC’s family allowances are intended to be only a contribution towards the cost of maintaining your family in the UK. The true costs are likely to be considerably higher, and you must be able to supplement these allowances in order to support any family members who come to the UK with you.
Duration of the Programme
The duration of the scholarship program is valid for three academic years for PhD starting from Fall 2020
- Check These Current Vacancies in Different Banks of Pakistan Finca Microfinance Bank Jobs 2020 in All Over Pakistan For Teller/Cashier, Credit Officers
- Khushhali Bank Jobs 2020 Customer Services Officer Required in All Cities
- MCB Bank Jobs 2020 Agriculture Marketing Officers in All Branches
- Bank Al Habib Jobs Graduate Trainee Officers Required in All Pakistan
- Allied Bank Jobs 2020 for Management Trainee Officers (MTO)
Commonwealth Scholarship for PhD (Teaching faculty only) ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA
The admission is open under Commonwealth scholarship in United Kingdom for 2020. Basic eligibility requirements are as follow:
To apply for these scholarships, you must:
- Be a Pakistani/AJ&K national & permanent resident of Pakistan/AJ&K
- Age must not be more than 40 years at the time of application
- Should hold full-time university teaching faculty positions at the time of application in the institution to which candidates intend to return and serve upon completion of their studies.
- Be available to start your academic studies in the UK by the start of the UK academic year in September/October 2020
- By closing date of application, must hold a first class Master’s degree complete in all aspects in relevant postgraduate qualification (18 years MS/MPhil degree) in the relevant field of study.
- Not have any third division throughout your academic career and maximum of two second divisions are allowed but candidate must not have second division in the terminal (MS/MPhil) last degree.
- Must apply under one of the themes as mentioned above and on the CSC website and candidate’s field of study must be in line with future development needs of Pakistan.
- NOT be registered for a PhD, or an MPhil leading to a PhD, at a UK university before September/October 2020
- Be financially unable to afford study in the United Kingdom without this scholarship.
Commonwealth Scholarship for PhD (Teaching faculty only) APPLICATION PROCEDURE
- Apply online at HEC website: http://eportal.hec.gov.pk/loa . After registering and filling your profile, please select “Learning Opportunities Abroad” under “Scholarship and Grant” menu in left hand side panel of the online portal. After that apply online to Commonwealth Scholarship through EAS form for doctoral studies (PhD) through Electronic Application System (EAS) at: http://cscuk.dfid.gov.uk/apply/eas/applicants/phd-scholarships-low-middle-income-countries/
- Attach deposit slip of Rs.1000/- (in original) deposited through HEC online Account No. 17427900133401 in HBL, Shalimar Recording Company Branch, H-9, Islamabad. All payments are to be made to HEC through HBL online facility. This facility is available in all branches of Habib Bank Ltd.
- All the applications for PhD without submitting EAS Application form and online HEC form will not be entertained in any case
- Save your HEC online application & Commonwealth online application after successful submission to relevant portals.
- Hardcopies of HEC application form (alongwith deposit slip, relevant academic documents viz. transcripts, equivalence for foreign degree, statement of purpose, study/research plan, copies of CNIC) & Commonwealth scholarship forms will be taken from shortlisted candidates only.
Do not send your hardcopies of applications at this stage. The deadline to apply online at both portals is 12th December, 2020
- Commonwealth UK does not accept direct applications. All nominations from Pakistan will be routed via HEC.
- HEC endorses equal opportunity, therefore, females are encouraged to apply.
- HEC will shortlist eligible applicants on the basis of selection criteria, highest academic merit, quality of study/research plan, and relevancy of candidate’s selected field with Pakistan’s future development needs, provincial/regional quota and the number of scholarship slots allocated for Pakistani students.
- By-hand applications, Incomplete applications or applications received after the deadline will NOT be accepted. The recommendation of nominating agency i.e. HEC will be final and binding.
- Please note that HEC has facilitation role in nomination process, as final selection will be made by the donor country. Further, HEC will have no financial liability regarding this scholarship.
- In case of submitting false information at any stage, HEC reserves the rights to cancel and debar for all future scholarships as well as impose penalty, as decided by HEC.
- It is the sole responsibility of applicants to ensure that they apply to HEC Online system and EAS Online application form simultaneously before the deadline of 12th December 2020, as applications submitted after the deadline shall NOT be entertained in any case.
- HEC may conduct test/interview to shortlist candidates through panel of experts.
For further details relevant to Commonwealth Scholarships 2020 for PhD, please visit: http://cscuk.dfid.gov.uk/apply/eas/applicants/phd-scholarships-low-middle-income-countries/
Learning Opportunities Abroad (LOA) Scholarship Cell
HRD Division, Higher Education Commission
Sector H-8/1, Islamabad.
E-mail: [email protected]
Phone: 051-90808029Commonwealth Scholarship for PhD (Teaching faculty only)