The Leo Baeck Research Fellowship Programme are open apply now .The new Leo Baeck Fellowship Programme is now available on offer to doctoral students who carry out research into the history and culture of Central European Jewry in the academic year 2019/20. The fellowships run from October 2019 to September 2020.
The Studienstiftung des deutschen Volkes – German Academic Scholarship Foundation – awards scholarships to outstanding students, irrespective of their political, ideological or religious convictions and affiliations. In line with its statutes, it supports “the university education of young people who, on account of their exceptional academic or artistic talents and their personalities, can be expected to make an outstanding contribution to society as a whole”.
Leo Baeck Research Fellowship Programme Description
- Applications Deadline: February 1, 2019
- Course Level: Fellowships are available for doctoral student to pursue research.
- Study Subject: Fellowships are awarded in the history and culture of Central European Jewry. We welcome projects on any period or field (including literature, philosophy, history, musicology), and any region (such as Europe, Israel, the Americas), as long as they relate to German-speaking Jewry.
- Scholarship Award: Fellows receive a stipend of 1,350 € a month. In addition a monthly research allowance of 100 € is available. Fellows can also apply for supplements for health insurance (max. 100 €/month) and childcare, as well as travel allowances to support research tips and participation at conferences abroad. Contributions to tuition fees outside Germany may also be granted (max. 10,000 €). All funding is provided in accordance with the general regulations issued by the German Federal Ministry for Education and Research (BMBF).
- Nationality: It is open to doctoral candidates of any nationality, studying at any university.
- Number of Scholarships: Up to twelve fellows will be selected for the programme in the academic year 2019/20.
- Scholarship can be taken in Germany
Eligibility for the Leo Baeck Research Fellowship Programme
Eligible Countries: It is open to doctoral candidates of any nationality, studying at any university.
Entrance Requirements: Applicants must meet the following criteria:
Leo Baeck Research Fellowship Programme Requirements
- University degree(s) with outstanding marks
- Date of latest degree not before February 2015
- Formal qualification for doctoral studies / acceptance on a doctoral programme at a recognised university
- Research project focusing on the history and culture of Central European Jewry
English Language Requirements: Applicants whose first language is not English are usually required to provide evidence of proficiency in English at the higher level required by the University.
Leo Baeck Research Fellowship Programme Application Procedure
How to Apply: Candidates are invited to submit the following documents in English or German:
- Application form (download from the website: www.studienstiftung.de)
- Cover letter outlining the motivation for participation in the programme (1 page)
- Curriculum vitae with details on education, general interests and language skills
- Photocopy of university degree(s), including marks/grading
- Research proposal (5 pages)
- Research schedule for the academic year 2019/20, including planned research trips
- Letter of recommendation by the supervisor of the PhD project
- Second letter of recommendation
We accept applications by e-mail (as a single pdf document please, the letters of recommendation may be submitted separately) or conventional mail (Studienstiftung des deutschen Volkes, Ahrstraße 41, 53175 Bonn, Deutschland). Only complete application sets will be considered. Shortlisted candidates will be invited to an interview in Frankfurt in April 2019.