Applications are invited for Monbukagakusho Scholarship in Japan offered by The Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology (MEXT). This scholarship is available to students and researchers from Austria who wishes to study at Japanese universities.
The Japanese government’s Monbukagakusho Scholarship aims to foster Austrian students’ friendly relations to Japan with the aim of building bridges between the two countries, and with the long-term wish that participants can contribute to the well-being of the wider world.
The OeAD advises, promotes and supports international cooperation in education, science and research. It supports strategic development and accompanying implementation measures. It analyzes international trends and develops recommendations and measures.
The OeAD is the central service point for European and international mobility and cooperation programs in education, science and research.
MEXT Monbukagakusho Research Scholarship Description:
- Application Deadline: May 22, 2018
- Course Level: Semester and/or one-year grants, Grants for whole degree programmes in the target country
- Study Subject: Grants will be awarded in the following fields of study:
- Natural Sciences
- Technical Sciences
- Human Medicine, Health Sciences
- Agricultural Sciences
- Social Sciences
- Scholarship Award: Apart from a monthly allowance the Japanese side additionally supports the costs for the outbound- and return flight. The chosen candidates are exempted from paying enrolment and tuition fees.
Monthly allowance 143.000–145.000 Y.
- Nationality: Students from Austria are eligible to apply.
- Number of Scholarships: Numbers not given
- Scholarship can be taken in Japan
Eligibility for the MEXT Monbukagakusho Research Scholarship:
Eligible Countries: Students from Austria are eligible to apply.
Entrance Requirements: To be eligible for this scholarship you must meet the following requirements:
Austrian nationals only!
Students in their final semesters (at the beginning of the grant period the applicant must have completed the degree) and graduates of (scientific and artistic) universities as well as universities of applied sciences.
Age limit: born on or after April 2, 1984
Applications are possible for all universities in Japan. A list of universities can be found under the following link:
The applicant must state an appropriate Japanese university for her/his project in Japan in the online application form. For the selection process, the supervisory consent of a Japanese professor is not necessary.
General information for applicants:
1. The selection process is competitive – i.e. the grants are only awarded the best students of many qualified candidates (there is no legal claim to the grants).
2. The presence of the scholarship holder on-site and the scientific pursuit of their projects / academic schedule are compulsory.
3. The scholarship holders are not allowed to engage in a gainful employment besides their academic duties.
4. Unless stated differently, the grants support one individual person – the grants do not take accompanying dependants into account.
5. The applicant expressly agrees that in accordance with § 1 of the Austrian federal law on data protection BGBl.Nr. 165/1999, as amended, the personal data in the application can be passed on to the office in charge of the exchange programme, the partner institutions, the Federal Ministry for Europe, Integration and Foreign Affairs and other Austrian institutions granting financial support.
6. Incomplete applications and applications submitted after the closing date cannot be taken into account.
7. Grants have to be started at the date agreed upon.
8. Upon application to the rector Austrian students can be exempted from paying the tuition fees if they pursue studies or internships in the framework of transnational, EU, national or university mobility programmes abroad.
English Language Requirements: Applicants whose first language is not English are usually required to provide evidence of proficiency in English at the higher level required by the University.
Application Procedure for MEXT Monbukagakusho Research Scholarship:
How to Apply: The online application form must be completed in English.
Required documents as uploads via online-application:
• CV (in English) with detailed specification of the studies carried out so far.
• A sound study or research plan (in English) for the stay abroad including an explanation why the stay in Japan is relevant to the research or study project.
• 2 letters of recommendation (in English, formulated free, incl. letterhead and stamp) from academic lecturers at universities or universities of applied sciences (preferably regular “habilitierte” professors or persons with comparable qualifications). These letters of recommendation should confirm the necessity of the stay abroad as well as the applicant’s artistic or scientific qualification and the recommended exchange period as well as the applicant’s suitability for the exchange. In case of an academic exchange in the course of a dissertation project, the application must include a letter of recommendation by the dissertation supervisor.
• A comprehensive grade transcript (in English) of all exams passed at the university or at the University of Applied Sciences as well as photocopies of the diplomas and the final certificates.
Important notice: In case of a nomination, the submissions of the original recommendation letters (in English), as well as the original grade transcripts (in English), are required by the Japanese side!
• If available written evidence of foreign language skills (course certificates, confirmation of course participation). Knowledge of the Japanese language is no prerequisite.
• Enclosures in case of artistic fields of specialisation (e.g.: architectural drawings, photos of paintings or sculptures, etc).