The new MWK-FELLOWS COFUND Fellowship Programme of the Max Weber Centre for Advanced Cultural and Social Studies is now available for excellent experienced researchers. Applicants can be of any nationality.
The MWK-FELLOWS fellowship programme offers incoming fellowships to excellent experienced researchers from countries other than Germany who are conducting interdisciplinary research in advanced cultural and social studies.
The Max Weber Centre for Advanced Cultural and Social Studies (Max-Weber-Kolleg) at the University of Erfurt is a highly ranked international research centre. It is unique in its organizational structure by combining the functions of an institute for advanced study and a graduate school. Its ‘Weberian’ research programme combines historical, comparative and interdisciplinary perspectives with an interest in normative issues in the social sciences.
MWK-FELLOWS COFUND International Fellowship Programme in Germany Description:
- Applications Deadline: October 1, 2019
- Course Level: Fellowships are available to pursue research.
- Study Subject: The core disciplines at the Max-Weber-Kolleg are sociology, economics, religious studies, law, philosophy, history and theology.
- Scholarship Award: MWK-FELLOWS will be appointed on the basis of a regular employment contract with the University of Erfurt according to the German Civil Service Collective Agreement (TV-L, pay grade E 13). Alternatively, fellows have the opportunity to stay in a current employment contract with their home universities under the precondition of an accepted leave of absence. The University of Erfurt will compensate the home universities for their costs of replacement as well as the fellows for their additional costs up to a defined sum. MWK-FELLOWS will receive an individual research and a training budget. They will be provided with a fully equipped workplace and have full access to the academic infrastructure (e.g. library loan, web space).
- Nationality: Applicants can be of any nationality.
- Number of Scholarships: Up to 10 Fellowships for Experienced Researchers.
- Scholarship can be taken in Germany
Eligibility for the MWK-FELLOWS COFUND International Fellowship Programme in Germany:
Eligible Countries: Applicants can be of any nationality.
Entrance Requirements: Applicants must meet the following criteria:
Research Experience: Applicants must have a doctoral degree or at least an equivalent of four years of full-time research experience at the application deadline. Full-time equivalent research experience is measured from the date when a researcher obtained the degree which would formally entitle him or her to embark on a doctorate, either in the country in which the degree was obtained or in Germany, irrespective of whether a doctorate is or was ever envisaged.
Mobility Rule: Applicants can be of any nationality, but at the time of application they must not have resided or carried out their main activity (work, studies etc.) in Germany for more than twelve months in the three years immediately prior to the application deadline. Compulsory national service and short stays such as holidays are not taken into account.
Support: Applicants must propose a research project that can be particularly well supported at the Max-Weber-Kolleg. To fulfill this requirement, applicants must explain in detail in their motivation letter which research group at the Max-Weber-Kolleg can provide this support.
Furthermore they must identify in their motivation letter at least one relevant researcher from a research group at the Max-Weber-Kolleg who has specific expertise in the field of the applicant’s proposed project and with whom the applicant would like to work during the fellowship. A complete list of research groups and research centres at the Max-Weber-Kolleg can be accessed here.
Ethical Issues: The research project must propose research that is not excluded from EU funding due to ethical issues.
English Language Requirements: German skills are not obligatory, unless they are required for conducting the research project. However, it is recommendable to have basic knowledge for everyday life and integration.
Application Procedure for MWK-FELLOWS COFUND International Fellowship Programme in Germany:
How to Apply: Applicants are strictly required to submit all necessary documents in German or English only via the online application portal (applications via email will not be accepted):
- completed online application form
- curriculum vitae including a list of publications (please make sure that for all periods in which you were employed, received a stipend, fellowship or grant, or stayed abroad you mention the exact dates, on which the period started and ended in the following format: DD/MM/YYYY)
- Copy of the degree certificate and transcript of the most recently completed university degree (degree certificates which are not originally issued in German or English have to be translated; the translation has to be officially certified; you must submit both the scan of the original degree certificate and the scan of the officially certified translation)
- Electronic copies of either three reviewed journal publications or one individually authored book, or a copy of the doctoral thesis
- Motivation letter which explains the reasons for the application for the programme, particularly why the proposed research project can be excellently supported at the Max-Weber-Kolleg
- Names and contact details of three proposed independent external referees
- Research proposal (3000 to a maximum of 5000 words, excluding bibliography). The proposals must include a brief summary of 10 lines before the main text and must have the following structure: state of the art, main questions, methodology, a detailed work schedule)
- Completed and signed Ethical Issue Form
- Proof of research experience: in case applicants do not hold a PhD-degree, a minimum of 4 years full-time equivalent research experience at the call deadline has to be documented