The OWWA Scholarship Overseas Workers Welfare Administration (OWWA) aims to protect and promote the welfare and well-being of Overseas Filipino Workers. In lieu with this, OWWA Scholarship offers scholarships, insurance and educational program for OWWA Scholarship OFWs and their dependents. This article would give you an idea of what you need to present to avail of the said programs.
The Education for Development Scholarship Program or the EDSP can be granted to OWWA Scholarship and its owwa benefits for OFW dependents who wish to enroll or are already enrolled in a 4-5 year course program in any preferred university. EDSP scholars can receive a maximum of P60,000 (per school year). Upon approval, the EDSP shall take effect on the school year 2019.
The Overseas Workers Welfare Administration (OWWA) offers “Education for Development Scholarship Program (EDSP)” for qualified beneficiaries/dependents of OFWs around the world. The scholarship program is open to all OFWs-beneficiaries/dependents who intend to enroll in any four- to five-year baccalaureate course, in any university across the country, whether in state universities and colleges (SUCs) and Technical Education and Skills Development Authority (TESDA)-accredited institution or in privately-owned tertiary or vocational institutions owwa loan.
The OWWA Scholarship OFW Dependent Scholarship Program or OFWDSP, on the other hand, is offered to students planning on studying/ already studying in a state college or university and whose family member receives a monthly salary not higher than US$400 (P30,478). The OFWDSP covers P20,000 (per school year) of a student’s school expenses; however, since state colleges are now tuition-free, the money granted to OFWDSP scholars can be used for other school fees, and the rest of the money is given to the student but should be used for other academic-related expenses only. Upon approval, the OFWDSP shall take effect on the school year 2019 owwa philippines branches.
There are five education and training programs offered by OWWA; Education for Development Scholarship Program (EDSP), Skills-for-Employment Scholarship Program (SESP), Seafarers’ Upgrading Program (SUP), DOLE-OWWA-Tulay Microsoft Project and Tuloy-Aral Project.
Education for Development Scholarship Program (EDSP) and owwa benefits
The Education for Scholarship Program (EDSP) grants a 4 to 5-year baccalaureate course offered by a CHED-accredited college or university. The scholarship is given to qualified beneficiaries/dependents of OWWA member-OFWs. The OWWA gives P30,000 per semester and pays the tuition fee directly to the school. They release the remaining amount after the scholar submits the grades for the semester. how to avail owwa loan for ofw.
How to qualify for the OWWA Scholarship
- Must be a child of a married OWWA member or brother/sister of an unmarried OWWA member
- Must be 21 years old or below
- Must be a Filipino citizen
- Be in good health and with good moral character
- Must have an average grade of at least 80% and belong to the upper 20% of the graduating class
What Are the Requirements of OWWA Scholarship
To be eligible for the scholarships, one has to make sure that the dependent applicant is not receiving any other scholarship grants, is the only family member (child or sibling) of the OFW receiving the EDSP, and has not previously taken any OWWA scholarship qualifying exam.
The OFW has to be an active member of the OWWA and their dependents must not be: over 21 years of age, with a grade not lower than 80% and belong to the upper 20% of the graduating class, must be a Filipino citizen, must have passed the qualifying exam provided by the Department of Science and Technology, and must have passed the college entrance exam which he/ she intends to enroll in.
- Accomplished application forms (2 sets)
- 1″x 1″ ID pictures (2 copies)
- Proof of relationship to Member (copy of Birth Certificate of applicant and of the Member if related as brother or sister duly certified by the Local Civil Registrar or NSO)
- Form 137 or Transcript of Records with Principal’s Certification on Scholastic Standing
- Proof of OWWA membership (i.e. Official Receipt of OWWA Contribution/Certification from OWWA Membership Processing Center)
- Health Certificate attesting to physical fitness of an applicant (Form B)
- Certificate of Good Moral Character issued by the School Principal/Guidance Counselor (Form C)
- Certification that applicant belongs to upper 20% of graduating class issued by school principal (2 sets)
- Statement of applicant that he/she has not earned units in any post-secondary/undergraduate course (Form E)
- Sworn Statement that he/she has no pending application for resident immigrant status in any country and does not have dual citizenship signed by parent or legal guardians (Form F)
To avail of the OWWA scholarship, please bring the requirements mentioned above at the nearest OWWA office. For more information visit the OWWA website at http://www.owwa.gov.ph/
Are you looking for Ched Scholarship? click here to apply for CHED Scholarship