Applications are invited for PhD Fellowships at the Max Planck ETH Center for Learning Systems awarded to excellent doctoral fellows as of August 3rd, 2018.
This is an exciting new program and admission is highly competitive. Each PhD fellow will have a primary location (chosen based on interests and match) and spends one year at the other location as well.
The Max Planck ETH Center for Learning Systems (CLS) is a joint research centre of ETH Zurich and the Max Planck Society. The Center’s mission is to pursue research in the design and analysis of learning systems, synthetic or natural. This initiative brings together more than 40 professors and senior researchers in the fields of machine learning, perception, robotics on large and small scales, as well as neuroscience.
PhD Fellowships at the Max Planck ETH Center for Learning Systems in Germany Description:
- Applications Deadline: November 12, 2018
- Course Level: Fellowships are available to pursue PhD programme.
- Study Subject: The PhD students will contribute to world-leading research in these areas:
- Machine Learning and Empirical Inference of Complex Systems
- Machine Intelligence, including Machine Vision and Natural Language Understanding
- Perception-Action-Cycle for Autonomous Systems
- Robust Model-Based Control for Intelligent Behavior
- Robust Perception in Complex Environments
- Design, Fabrication, and Control of Synthetic, Bio-Inspired, and Bio-Hybrid Micro/Nanoscale Robotic Systems
- Haptic Intelligence
- Data-Driven Computational Biology
- Neurotechnology and Emergent Intelligence in Nervous Systems.
- Scholarship Award: The duration of the CLS PhD Fellowship is initially three years. For fellows with good progress it can be extended for maximal one year to complete the PhD thesis (decision to be taken by the CLS Steering Board, without additional interviews). CLS PhD fellowships will be remunerated according to the rules of the Max-Planck Society and ETH Zurich, respectively. The corresponding guidelines for doctoral education apply. The CLS will pay for a part of the position, which is matched by the host lab at the Max-Planck-Society and ETH Zurich, respectively.
- Nationality: International students are eligible to apply for this fellowship.
- Number of Scholarships: Numbers not given
- Scholarship can be taken in Germany
Eligibility for the PhD Fellowships at the Max Planck ETH Center for Learning Systems in Germany:
Eligible Countries: International students are eligible to apply for this fellowship.
Entrance Requirements: Applicants must meet the following criteria:
People with a strong academic background and a master’s degree in Engineering, Computer Science, Cognitive Science, Mathematics, Control Theory, Neuroscience, Materials Science, Physics or related fields should apply.
Candidates are expected to have a completed master’s degree in computer science, physics, engineering, applied mathematics, materials science, neuroscience or other relevant fields as well as an excellent track record and must meet the general admission requirements for a doctorate at ETH Zurich (available at https://www.ethz.ch/en/doctorate.html).
English Language Requirements: Applicants whose first language is not English are usually required to provide evidence of proficiency in English at the higher level required by the University.
Application Procedure for PhD Fellowships at the Max Planck ETH Center for Learning Systems in Germany:
How to Apply: Please read this document Here in order to find out about financial support, required documents and the selection procedure.
- A complete CV including a list of publications, invited talks and awards (if applicable)
- A short letter of motivation (1-2 pages) outlining the research area of the candidate
- Scanned transcripts of certificates (bachelor’s degree, master’s degree, other degrees)
- 2-3 reference letters to be sent directly per email to the CLS Executive Office within the application deadline.
Calls for applications will be published ca. once per year.