The CSIRO Synthetic Biology Future Science Fellowships scheme is funded through the CSIRO Synthetic Biology Future Science Platform (SynBio FSP). Fellowships will be hosted at a Host Organisation (usually an Australian University, but other Australian research organizations may also be eligible).
The scheme aims to attract outstanding national and international early- to mid-career postdoctoral researchers (equivalent to Academic Levels A and B, or in exceptional circumstances, Level C) to expand Australian research capacity in synthetic biology.
Synthetic Biology Future Science Platform is positioning Australia to play a role in one of the fastest growing areas of modern science so that we can understand global developments and, where appropriate, contribute to advances in areas including manufacturing, industrial biotechnology, environmental remediation, biosecurity, agriculture, and healthcare research.
Postdoctoral Fellowships CSIRO Synthetic Biology Future Science Description:
- Application Deadline: March 5, 2019
- Course Level: Fellowships are available to pursue Postdoctoral research programme.
- Study Subject: The priority areas for the 2019 Fellowship round are the Health and Maximising Impact Application Domains (see below for details). However, we will consider Proposals across all five Application Domains.
- Our research program is focussed around five Application Domains: Foundation Technologies, Environment & Biocontrol, Chemicals & Fibres, Health, and Maximising Impact.
- Scholarship Award: The requested salary level (Academic A or B, or, in very exceptional circumstances, Level C) should be commensurate with the experience and track record of the applicant. Track record (Selection Criterion 1) for applicants will be assessed in a pool of applicants requesting the equivalent salary level; consequently, applicants requesting higher salary support will be assessed with a higher level of accountability. The maximum amount is not fixed but unreasonably expensive projects will not be funded, and projects that are very expensive will be scrutinized carefully considering that it may mean we can fund fewer fellowships if such a project is awarded. The budget should be commensurate with the project; a budget proforma is provided, and a budget justification is required. As a guide, the average total project funding in the 2019 round was $490,000 there was significant variation around this due to salary level and project expenses.
- Nationality: Australian and International students
- Number of Scholarships: Numbers not given.
- Scholarship can be taken in Australia
Eligibility for the Postdoctoral Fellowships CSIRO Synthetic Biology Future Science:
Eligible Countries: Australian and International students are eligible to apply for this scholarship programme.
Entrance Requirements: To be eligible for this scholarship you must meet the following requirements:
- Applicants must hold a PhD conferred between 1st July 2010 and 1st July 2019, i.e. no more than 8 years’ post-PhD research experience on the closing date for the applications
- Allowances will be made for career interruptions. Space is provided to note career interruptions on the CV Template provided
- Eligible career interruptions are defined as career’s responsibility; disruption due to international relocation for post-doctoral studies or other research employment not exceeding three months per international relocation; illness; maternity or parental leave; unemployment and/or non-research employment not concurrent with research employment
- Periods of career interruption must occur between the PhD award date and the closing time for submission of applications
- For University-hosted applicants: The scheme is open to researchers at Academic Levels A and B. In exceptional circumstances funding for a level C position may be approved for a truly outstanding candidate. Applicants must apply at the same or higher academic level to that which they are currently employed (i.e. applicants cannot apply at a lower academic level). Applicants who hold a continuing/tenured/permanent/faculty/indefinite position are not eligible to apply.
- Applicants may be Australian or international; international applicants will be responsible for ensuring that they are eligible to apply for a visa to work in Australia
- For the duration of the appointment, Fellows are expected to reside in Australia and be employed by an Australian Host Organisation
- It is a requirement that applicants address project ethical and social license to operate aspects adequately in the application form.
English Language Requirements: Applicants whose first language is not English are usually required to provide evidence of proficiency in English at the higher level required by the University.
Application Procedure for Postdoctoral Fellowships CSIRO Synthetic Biology Future Science:
How to Apply: Before applying you should read and understand the Application Guidelines and the Application Form in full. Application packages must include:
- A completed Application Form [Download Application Form]
- A completed budget prepared using the Budget Pro Forma provided [Download Budget Pro Forma]
- A completed Milestone table prepared using the Milestone form provided [Download Milestone Form]
- A CV for the applicant and one for each Mentor, each completed on the CV Template provided [Download CV Template]
- A letter of support from the host Mentor, one from the CSIRO Mentor, and one from any partner organizations/collaborators.