Fulbright Thailand, in cooperation with the Thailand Research Fund (TRF), is delighted to offer Fulbright Junior Research Scholarship Program (JRS) for the year 2019. Applicants from Thailand are eligible to apply for this scholarship to study in the USA.
“Fulbright – Thailand Research Fund Junior Research Scholarship Program,” aims to develop capabilities of Thai university staff members and interested persons to gain six months of research experience in the United States as part of their doctoral dissertation requirements.
The Fulbright Program in Thailand was established on July 1, 1950 by the creation of the United States Educational Foundation through a bilateral agreement between the governments of Thailand and the U.S. The Foundation was renamed the Thailand-U.S. Educational Foundation (TUSEF) in 1963 but is popularly referred to as “Fulbright” or “Fulbright Thailand”.
Thailand Research Fund Junior Research Scholarship Program in USA Description:
- Applications Deadline: November 2, 2018
- Course Level: This is a six months long research scholarship programme.
- Study Subject: Scholarship is awarded to learn any of the courses offered.
- Scholarship Award: For the grant sponsored by Fulbright Thailand, benefits are intended to cover round-trip international airfare, the monthly stipend for six months, in-transit allowance and health insurance. For the Fulbright-TRF partnership, funding support will be mainly provided by the Thailand Research Fund (TRF) with additional fund from Fulbright Thailand for not exceeding a period of six months.
- Nationality: Applicants from Thailand are eligible to apply for this scholarship.
- Number of Scholarships: Five (5) grants are available for the 2019 academic year. Two (2) will be awarded under the Fulbright Program and up to three (3) will be under the Fulbright-TRF partnership.
- Scholarship can be taken in the USA
Eligibility for the Thailand Research Fund Junior Research Scholarship Program in USA:
Eligible Countries: Applicants from Thailand are eligible to apply for this scholarship.
Entrance Requirements: Applicants must meet the following criteria:
An applicant must:
- Be physically present in Thailand at the time of the application, interview and orientation
- Be a Thai citizen in good health (individuals holding U.S. immigrant visas or permanent U.S. resident cards (green cards), or dual citizenships (Thai and U.S.) are not eligible to apply);
- Be a university lecturer OR interested persons who are undertaking graduate work at the PhD level in a Thai university;
- Have completed your coursework and passed the qualifying exam;
- Demonstrate strong academic performance at the graduate level;
- Have an appropriate background to undertake the proposal you have outlined;
- Have the concurrence of the university PhD program in which you are enrolled;
- Have one of the following valid English official score reports:
- iBT TOEFL score of 71 or above or;
- ITP TOEFL score of 525 or;
- CU-TEP test score of 75.
- Obtain written confirmation (a letter of invitation) from a U.S. professor/scientist at the host institution that s/he will supervise the research;
- Be able to take leave from your home institution or post;
- Preferably not have had extensive experience in the United States during the previous 5 years; and
- Be able to fully participate in every activity organized by Fulbright Thailand, including Preliminary Orientation and Pre-departure Orientation Program, which will be held in February and June respectively.
- Those who work for the U.S. Embassy and related agencies, please consult Fulbright Thailand before applying.
English Language Requirements: Applicants whose first language is not English are usually required to provide evidence of proficiency in English at the higher level required by the University.
Application Procedure of Thailand Research Fund Junior Research Scholarship Program in USA:
How to Apply: 1. All items must be completed in English and use American date notation (month, day, year)
- All attachment files must be in the format of PDF only.
- For transcripts and TOEFL iBT, TOEFL ITP or CU-TEP score, a scanned copy must be of the original documents. However, please include only photocopied documents of those in your hard-copy application packet. Please do not mail us the original documents.
- Letters of Recommendation:
- It is highly recommended the recommenders are those qualified to evaluate the applicant’s qualification.
- Applicants must include two letters of recommendation in sealed envelopes (sealed by the recommenders) in the application packet or the recommenders themselves email their letters (a scanned copy) directly to with the subject: Recommendation letter for JRS Application. The two recommenders need not choose the same method of submitting their letters. In other words, one may opt to submit by e-mailing to lbrightthai.org while the other in a sealed envelope.
- The recommenders must use official/professional e-mail addresses registered/associated with their institutions/organizations to ensure their credential. Their personal e-mail addresses are not accepted. 5.
- Applicants must submit both online application and a set of hard-copy application.
- Applications must be submitted online by the deadline Friday, November 2, 2018, at 1:00 p.m. Thailand local time.
- Once completing the online application, applicants must print a hard copy from the Online System and send a set of hard-copy application to Fulbright Thailand Office via EMS with a postmark by Friday, November 2, 2018.
- Please do not staple any of your hard-copy documents.
- Any incomplete application and any documents mailed to Fulbright Thailand Office later than the date indicated above will not be considered.
- Fulbright Thailand mailing address.
- Applicants will be notified, provided they are selected. The results can also be viewed on our official website at www.fulbrightthai.org approximately two weeks after the application is closed.